BIRAenergy has been a leader in evaluating and developing strategies for - pioneering clean energy technologies and concepts and their implementation, for over 20 years. BIRAenergy provides integrated clean energy solutions - combining energy efficiency and renewable energy generation technologies and systems
BIRAenergy ZNE History
- In 2001, BIRAenergy began integrating efficiency and renewable generation technologies, embarking on a path toward net zero-energy homes. BIRAenergy provided technical, marketing, and evaluation services to the first-to-market Shea Highlands community.
- The success of the Shea project sparked DOE/NREL to begin their Zero Energy Home (ZEH) Program, BIRAenergy (as ConSol) was one of four teams chosen in a national competition.
- In 2002, BIRAenergy(as ConSol) formed a Building America Program (BAP) team, ‘BIRA’ that, with support from the U.S. DOE over the past ten years, provided a broad range of technical assistance to builders, developers, manufacturers, utilities and governments.
- Over the last ten years, through BIRA and BAP, BIRAenergy has improved the efficiency, in over 13,000 homes (over one-quarter of the total BAP homes built over the life of the program), while simultaneously testing, analyzing, and evaluating technologies in single, heavily monitored homes, or in communities of homes, some of which were monitored at the community scale for over a year.
- BIRAenergy also affected the construction of more near-zero energy communities than any other entity the first, largest, longest-running, and most-analyzed large-scale post occupancy performance evaluations of near-zero energy communities.
- BIRAenergy has also worked with utilities, builder groups, and local, state and federal governments to develop innovative, synergistic programs to encourage super-efficient homes. Example - New Mexico Zero Energy Home program.