Ian Hammon-Hogan is member of the BIRAenergy team as a Research Manager, where he provides technical support to top builders (DeYoung Properties, Meritage Homes, Pulte Group), emerging technology manufactures (TESLA), utilities (PG&E, SCE, SoCal Gas), state and local governments, as well as individual homeowners to assist in moving new and existing residential markets towards zero net-energy (ZNE) performance.
For BIRAenergy, Mr. Hammon-Hogan develops computer models of buildings to analyze and simulate their performance, and uses them to develop optimized energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies feature packages, with the goal of reducing the life cycle costs and increasing the efficiency of residential spaces.
Mr. Hammon-Hogan has been a leader in evaluating and developing implementation strategies for clean energy technologies in California, including solar energy devices, residential batteries for peak load reduction and flat-load profiles, smart grid integration with Demand-Response (DR) appliances, and strategies for clean gas-fired on-site generation appliances.
- Bachelor of Science, Chemistry, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA (2009)
Recent Professional Experience
Research Scientist, BIRAenergy (5 years) - August 2012 - Present
- Manage and implement client requests for Sustainable Design, Energy Engineering, Market Research, Data Analysis, and/or Product RDD&D
- Develop technical studies and economic analysis of energy efficiency and energy conservation opportunities; field investigations; prepare written analysis of findings; deliver presentations to stakeholders, contractors, vendors and municipal agencies
- Balance short-term priorities while understanding and tracking industry standards and emerging trends to drive long-term strategy, including: coordinating and standardizing methodologies and documents across complicated projects; generating up-to-date project specifications related to sustainable design and construction for new projects; prioritizing opportunities and consulting on key decisions for teams; aligning programmatic activities with company mission statement; identifying and engaging internal teams, external consultants and contractors, and third party organizations on relevant program areas
Research Assistant, ConSol, Inc. - July 2012 - September 2012
- Conducted research at the direction of, and in cooperation with, engineers
- Communicated with other industry professionals working within specialized and technical aspects of energy efficiency
Laboratory Manager, Golden State Analytics - November 2010 - June 2012
- Implementation of a unique business plan into an existing market
- Developed specialized and cost-effective analytical methods
- Successfully lobbied city officials the creation of specific legislation to aid in the ease of doing business within the city
Selected Professional Activities
- Single-Family Showcase ZNE Designs: ABC Greenhome, Home of the Future
- Production Builder ZNE Design, Examples: DeYoung Properties, Pulte Group, Meritage Homes, BLU Homes
- Multifamily ZNE Design: Village at Beechwood (Lancaster, CA), Pleasant View (Fresno, CA), The Seasons (Ontario, CA)
- Community-Scale ZNE Designs: Meritage Sierra Crest (Fontana, CA), DeYoung EnVision (Clovis, CA), DeYoung Trailside (Clovis, CA)
- Determination of CEC-Approved Computer Models used to Predict Title-24 Savings with Unvented Attics, 2013 CIP Polyurethanes Technical Conference.
- Replicable and Scalable Near-Zero Net Energy Retrofits for Low-Income Housing. 2016 ACEEE Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings.
- Lessons Learned from a Zero Net Energy Production Builder Demonstration. 2016 ACEEE Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings
- Establishing Feasibility of Residential Zero Net Energy Community Development - Learnings from California’s First ZNE Neighborhood. 2016 ACEEE Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings
- Financial Analysis of a Replicable and Scalable Near-Zero Net Energy Retrofit for Low-Income Housing. 2017 National Conference on Energy Efficiency as a Resource